Each year, Student Government appropriates over $20,000 to registered student organizations in support their projects, initiatives, and operations. Appropriations applications are available during the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
The application is on Hornslink and is due Wednesday, September 7th at 12:00 PM
The Appropriations Process
Note: Funds will not be available to be spent until approximately 2-3 weeks after the date of the application deadline. Please take this into account when submitting an application.
- A member of a registered organization submits an application and budget on Hornslink by the set deadline. Late submissions will not be considered. (Fall Appropriations Deadline: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 by 12:00 PM)
- A representative for the organization attends a mandatory interview conducted by the Financial Affairs committee. (Fall Interview Dates: Saturday, September 10, 2016 and Sunday, September 11, 2016; sign-up instructions will be released on September 9, 2016.)
- The Financial Affairs committee evaluates applications holistically based on campus inclusiveness, organizational need, and relevance to the organization’s stated mission. Organizations will be notified within a week’s time.
- If the organization’s request for funding is approved, a representative from the organization must attend a spending workshop facilitated by Student Government’s financial advisor, Veronica Cantu. The spending workshop will review what Student Government can fund and how allocations may be spent. No payments will be facilitated until a representative has attended the spending workshop. (Organizations approved for funding will receive an email with dates and times for the spending workshops.)
- After attending a spending workshop, an organization works with Veronica to make purchases. All purchases must be made before the spending deadline. (Fall Spending Deadline: Friday, December 2, 2016)
Student Government does NOT fund the following items. This list is not exhaustive.
- Gift cards
- Prizes (including merchandise, prize money, scholarships, etc.)
- Greeting cards
- Food and drinks
- Travel expenses
- Rentals from off-campus vendors
- Conference and admission fees
- Parking permits
- RecSports personnel
The following funding regulations must be followed by all student organizations in order to receive funding from Student Government:
- Only student organizations that are registered and in good standing with the Student Activities Office may receive funding.
- NO REIMBURSEMENTS. All purchases must be facilitated by Student Government’s financial advisor, Veronica Cantu.
- Designs for all promotional items (flyers, posters, t-shirts, etc.) must be approved by SG Financial Advisor Veronica Cantu before the purchase is made.
- If an organization would like to use allocated funds for an event other than the one approved by the Financial Affairs committee, it must obtain written approval from the Internal Financial Director. The same holds true if an organization wishes to use funds for a different purpose than that approved by the Financial Affairs committee (e.g. to buy shirts instead of flyers).
- Should an organization choose not to use allocated funds, it must notify Veronica Cantu by the spending deadline. Organizations who fail to notify Veronica will be ineligible to receive funding in the next semester.
Internal Financial Director: Jonathan Harper
SG Financial Advisor: Veronica Cantu